In today’s online world where everything happens over the internet, text messages are still used. There are many times when internet connectivity fails. In all such cases, text messages are the best way to remain connected.
Studies have shown that most mobile phone users do read all the text messages that they get. This is why companies use text message marketing to promote their products and services. E-commerce companies also use text messages as part of their marketing effort.
Text Message Marketing
Text Message Marketing is where a company sends messages to existing customers, leads, and enquiries to promote their products and services. This is an easy way of sending updates on latest products, offers, discounts, and to follow up with leads to convert them.
Text messages are easy to use. They don’t require internet connectivity. Internet messaging can happen using a particular software tool. If the other person does not have the software installed, communication can’t happen.
On the other hand, text messages don’t require a special app to read them. They enabled by default on all mobile phones. It is easy to send text messages in bulk to multiple people using software tools. This makes it easy for marketers to reach out to multiple people quickly. This ensures marketing promotion in the quickest and most cost-effective way.
The reasons why marketers use text message marketing are:
- More than 87% people, especially youngsters, have their mobile phones with them at all times. They keep looking at their mobile phones at all times ensuring that any message sent will be seen.
- The first thing most people do nowadays is to check their mobile phones. Studies show that people check their mobile phones 80 times a day on average. There is a very high chance that text messages sent would be read by the recipient.
- Texts can be opened quickly, as compared to e-mails or messages using online apps. This ensures people would see the contents immediately.
- Studies have shown that the average time to reply to an e-mail is 90 minutes while the average time to reply to text messages is 3 minutes. This highlights the importance of text messages.
- Text messages are delivered instantly as they do not depend on internet connectivity. This ensures marketers reach out to customers quickly.
All these reasons explain why marketers, including e-commerce marketers, use text messages for their marketing. Of course, the applicable privacy laws need to be followed. Only those who have opted to receive text messages should be added to the software database to send messages.
An option should be given to opt out of receiving messages. If this option is used, then the customer/lead’s number must be removed from the database. Failure to do this may lead to legal action.
Running marketing campaigns
It is very easy to run a marketing campaign through text message marketing. E-commerce marketers can use this for the following:
- E-commerce companies can run a new campaign to promote a new product or convey a new offer on an existing product.
- E-commerce marketers can remind customers of pending items in their cart. Many customers add products to their cart but don’t check them out. A reminder would make them curious to look at what is in their cart. Offering a discount would motivate them to make a purchase.
- During special events like festivals and holidays, special messages can be sent reminding customers of offers available. These messages can motivate customers to visit the website and search for these offers.
- Personalized offers can be sent making a customer feel the message is not a mass message and intended only for him/her. This can be done by sending a message saying that there is a special offer waiting for them when they login. This creates a better impression in the minds of the recipient.
- Marketers can use a call to action to motivate the customer/lead to act immediately (eg: offer open for 24 hours only).
- Tracking mechanism can be used to track if the marketing campaign has worked. A link can be given in the message, that would redirect the recipient to the website. This link would have a tracker that keeps track of how many people clicked on the link and how many made a purchase.
An example message is given below:
|Announcing a special December sale.
Use the Code DEC130 to get up to 30% discounts on top brands.
Visit <page> to avail this offer today.
Reply UNSUB to stop receiving messages.
The above is a sample message that explains how e-commerce marketers can use text messages for marketing. The message has a clear promotion for customers. It compels customers to do it within a month. It has a link for tracking and a call to action. It also allows recipients to opt out.
AUTHOR BIO: I am Susan Raj, Marketing Head of TXTImpact provides Text Messaging products for marketing and support customers to increase your client base. Our Enterprise Text Message Marketing Platform designed for your business, allows marketers to communicate and engage customers on the go instantly.